28 January 2014

wicked series - elphaba, the wicked witch of the west

Still too cold to function... I got up earlier than usual (and by earlier, I mean I woke up at 9:30AM. I think I'm possibly turning into a bum) and still managed to get nothing done today except this makeup look and some cleaning. WELL OVERDUE CLEANING, BY THE WAY. I moved back home from university last May and I tried to clean when I was fully moved out of my apartment in August, but by then my allergies started kicking in and now it's the end of January and I totally had it coming. Chinese New Year is in two days and I'm supposed to have my room cleaned by then, but something tells me it'll only look clean from the surface just to reveal the same old mess underneath.

Anyway, back on-topic. Elphaba is obviously known for her verdigris, but I wasn't about to paint my face green. Not that I wouldn't do it--come on, I walk around with multi-coloured eyebrows on a regular basis--but the only face paint I have is probably close to 8 years old and I should probably throw it out. Cream makeup is really the only way to go if you want to paint your whole face (and maybe your body, too) but as I had none, I chose to do something that pays more subtle homage to the misunderstood witch.



Green eyeshadow? You betcha. The colour and placement of colour is pretty self-explanatory: a lighter green on the inner half of the lid and a darker green on the outer half and blended into the crease. But the key here is to start with your eye makeup before you do anything else because once you're done placing colour on your upper lid, you want to take a Q-tip dipped in makeup remover and create a blunt edge on the outer corner. Most people go for a pointed wing shape, but I wanted to give this look a little more originality by making the outer edge squared off.

Line the lower lash line with a green eyeshadow, take black eyeliner to the waterlines and your upper lash line, and that's all you need to do with your eyes. Mascara is optional, but if you feel naked without it, you can definitely add it here. I don't usually bother and honestly tend to forget mascara because my lashes are short and straight and the way my eyes are shaped tends to leave mascara all over my bottom lid.

I filled in my eyebrows with a slightly darker shade of brow powder and used concealer above and below my brows to highlight them and give them a clean, crisp look.

Idina Menzel has some killer cheekbones, but a lot of the other actresses who played Elphaba don't, and I decided to put a very minimal amount of contouring and highlighting around my cheekbones and temples.

I outlined my lips with lip liner and actually slightly rounded out my naturally pointed Cupid's bow. Then I filled in my lips with the Bite Beauty lip cream and I thought it was a little light, so I topped off the colour with a lip tar that leaned more toward the brown side and it darkened it just enough to my taste. If you prefer a lighter lip, stick with your usual red lipstick.

BROWS
Anastasia Beverly Hills Beauty Express brow kit in Brunette
Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Brow Gel in Granite

EYES
theBalm Put a Lid On It! eyeshadow primer
Inner lid - Wet n' Wild Fantasy Makers glitter palette from the Hauntingly Hip Stencil Kit - Enchanted Angel (green shade) + Sugarpill Chromalust pigment in Absinthe (lime green shimmer)
Outer lid - Saucebox Cosmetics Midnight Blossoms palette (lighter green shade)
Lower lash line - Saucebox Cosmetics Midnight Blossoms palette (darker green shade)
Waterlines + upper lash line - Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Zero (black)

FACE
Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentrè
MAKE UP FOR EVER HD Microperfecting Primer
Urban Decay Naked Skin liquid foundation in 1.0
Urban Decay 24/7 Concealer Pencil in CIA
Under eyes - It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye concealer in Light
Highlight - Benefit high beam
Contour - Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil Bronzer
L'Oréal Paris Magic Smooth Soufflé Blush in Celestial (muted rosy pink)

LIPS
NYX Slim Lip Liner in Deep Red
Bite Beauty Cashmere Lip Cream in Port (deep wine)
Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Anita (browned burgundy)


No comments:

Post a Comment