22 January 2014

look of the day - 40s inspiration/minerva mcgonagall

Okay, I know the title of this post says 40s inspiration, which this look really is, but the original request came from my dear friend Meg, who said:

i politely request a young, hot mcgonagall look. for science.

SO. I had to comply because let's face it, McGonagall's history is fantastic. If any of you are on Pottermore, you've probably read what J.K. Rowling posted about her family and background. She was born in 1935, which means that she was leaving Hogwarts sometime in the 50s. I've done a few retro/50s inspired looks already, but I think McGonagall, if she even bothered with makeup, would have been a little outdated with her look, though it would still be classic. So I chose to go with the 40s, using this site as inspiration.

The 40s had a very clean look, with natural, groomed brows, a clean face, and minimal eye makeup. The focus was entirely on the lips. The 40s were all about lipstick, especially red lips. I'm of the impression that McGonagall probably didn't care too much for lipstick, but hey, a girl can dream!


I don't have a close-up for you all today, unfortunately, but that's because the eye makeup is very, very minimal. I used all matte eyeshadows--a skin-toned shade all over the lid, and a slightly deeper shade in the outer corner and crease just for a bit of definition. I tightlined my lashes with a black eyeliner and lined my upper lid with a brown pencil liner, and then I curled my lashes and put on a few coats of mascara.

Put on some foundation or anything with light to medium coverage and conceal what needs to be concealed. Use a pink-y blush on the cheeks and bring the colour up along the cheekbones. Contouring is totally optional, but I always think it adds something nice to the overall look, especially since I'm so used to having a super round face. (Which is changing seeing as I've lost over 20 pounds since August...)

THE LIPS! Okay, so all I did was put on some red lipstick and blot it a few times with a tissue to take off the shine and some of the colour. Even though the 40s were all about strong red shades, I think McGonagall wouldn't have wanted something that was too dramatic. I've also read that women were changing their lip shape with their lipstick to make their mouths appear fuller, but I always feel a little clownish doing it. But if you're comfortable with it, then go for it. Never let anyone else dictate how you do your makeup! Makeup should make you feel good about yourself, so don't listen to haters.

Also, maybe one day I'll dress up for pictures, but today is not that day. And it will likely not be that day until I can overhaul my closet for clothing that both physically fits me and matches my personal style. We'll see!

BROWS
Benefit Instant Brow Pencil in Deep
Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Brow Gel in Granite

EYES
theBalm Put a Lid On It! eyeshadow primer
Lid - Urban Decay eyeshadow in Foxy (very light yellow/white matte)
Outer corner + crease - Urban Decay eyeshadow in Faint (warm, dusty brown matte)
Brow bone - Saucebox Cosmetics Creme de la Creme palette (lightest off-white shimmer shade)
Upper lash line - Sephora Nano Eyeliner in 05 Chocolate
Waterline - Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Zero (black)
Mascara - Maybelline Volum' Express the Mega Plush mascara in Blackest Black

FACE
Urban Decay Naked Skin liquid foundation in 1.0
Benefit boi-ing concealer in 01
Under eyes - It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye concealer in Light
Contour (cheeks) - NYX Powder Blush in Taupe (matte taupe)
Contour (nose) - Urban Decay eyeshadow in Naked2 (taupe matte)
bareMinerals blush in t.t.y.l. (sheer poppy pink)

LIPS
Maybelline Color Sensational lipstick in 645 Red Revival

No comments:

Post a Comment