27 January 2014

wicked series - glinda the good

Chicago, seriously, can we tone it down with the weather? I love snow far more than the average person (judging off of the Facebook posts I've seen filled with complaints) but this is a little much. And then there's the cold.

Today is colder than the polar vortex days that came through the area two weeks ago, and it's supposed to continue tomorrow. Hopefully, it'll warm up soon because I think I'm going crazy being cooped up in my house, but at least that means I have no excuse to not clean, right? Ahem.

This look was also requested by Meg, who asked for looks based off of the two main characters in Wicked. I happen to have a long standing love for this musical since the 8th grade. I listened to the soundtrack continuously for over a year with almost no variation. It was just always on repeat, and when my then 48-year-old Chinese father started dancing around behind me singing the words to Popular, I knew I had gone too far. I went to see the musical on Broadway with my high school music department and if I hadn't been bone tired from the 3 hours of sleep a night we were averaging, I would have been the most irritating human being that entire day. Trust me.


I slept with my hair in 11 (!!!) little French braids last night and not only did it take forever, but my arms were so sore and I kept missing pieces of hair. So frustrating! But it was worth the trouble because I woke up, took them out minus the one I did around my hairline, and I was left with something akin to crimped hair without the frizz. Well, sort of--you can see the left side of my hair being hilarious.

Anyway! Not that you can entirely see it in the above photo, but the eyeshadow was really fun. Because Glinda's colour scheme in the musical is so varied but always bright and mostly pastel, I focused on her sparkling blue dress when she's travelling by bubble and her pink dress during Popular. (Sidenote: how many of you knew that her dress from the dance into the Popular scene was originally blue?) The original Glinda was also known for her famous pale pink dress.

I started with a light blue matte shadow into the inner third of my lid. Next, I took a pale pink shimmery eyeshadow over the rest of the lid, and then blended the two colours together with a lavender shadow. I blended a deep pink eyeshadow into the crease and tapped on a shimmery, iridescent white eyeshadow up toward the browbone. Taking a shimmery blue-toned iridescent eyeshadow, I traced the colour along my lower lash line.

For eyeliner, I took a white liner to my lower waterline, and a black liner to my upper waterline and lash line. The black eyeliner was mostly to anchor the false lashes so there wasn't a gap between them and my natural lashes.

With a pale pink blush on my cheeks and a slightly shimmery pink gloss on my lips, the look is complete! I mixed a NYX lip cream with a shimmery lip gloss for this because I didn't think a single product would produce the effect I wanted, and I used a bit more of the lip cream along the insides of my lips to give it a bit of a gradient effect.

Glinda is a very whimsical character, so that's the overall effect for which I aimed here. She's cheery and colourful, and you can definitely switch out the blues and pinks for other colours. Maybe the yellow she wore to the Emerald City?

BROWS
Anastasia Beverly Hills Beauty Express brow kit in Brunette
Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Brow Gel in Granite

EYES
theBalm Put a Lid On It! eyeshadow primer
Inner lid - Sigma Beauty Crème de Couture eyeshadow in Blue Chocolat (light aqua matte) and Blueberry Cream (milky blue velvet matte)
Center lid - Sugarpill Chromalust pigment in Paperdoll (lavender shimmer)
Outer lid - Sugarpill Chromalust pigment in Birthday Girl (princess pink with fuchsia sparkles)
Crease - Urban Decay eyeshadow in Woodstock (saturated deep pink shimmer) + Shiro Cosmetics loose eyeshadow in Moon Prism Power (pale pink-cream shimmer with opalescent green shift and golden sparkle)
Inner corner + lower lash line - Sugarpill Chromalust pigment in Lumi (snow white with turquoise sheen)
Lower waterline - Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Yeyo (metallic white)
Upper lash line - Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Zero (black)
False lashes - Ardell Double Up Lashes in 201 Black

FACE
Urban Decay Naked Skin liquid foundation in 1.0
Urban Decay 24/7 Concealer Pencil in DEA
Under eyes - Benefit Fake Up Concealer in 01 Light
Sigma Beauty Crème de Couture Blush in Strawberry Ambrosia

LIPS
NYX Xtreme Lip Cream in Strawberry Jam (geranium pink) + Shiro Cosmetics lip gloss in Moon Prism Power


No comments:

Post a Comment