20 January 2014

look of the day - inspired by elsa from disney's frozen

I barely slept last night and I really wanted to take a nap, but before I knew it, it was past 3PM and I figured I would do my makeup instead!

For those of you living in a cave, Frozen is Disney's latest animated feature. There are a lot of issues that should be addressed, but since this is a makeup blog, let's focus on the makeup... Elsa's, to be exact, during Let It Go. I've only seen the movie once at my sister's insistence, but the makeup stuck with me. (Big surprise, no?) Now, I distinctly remember the lip colour in the film being more cranberry than neutral pink, but this picture says otherwise. To compromise, I did both.


HAIR, STOP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING. I really did want to do a braid, but my hair really hates staying in braids and I didn't want to bother putting any product in. Elsa's got some awesome eyelashes, so I had to make do with falsies that seem to cover up my entire lid when my eyes are open. I had to change the look a little, as I don't have round Disney eyes, so the shape of her eyeshadow wouldn't have worked on me. I always apply eyeshadow with my fingers because my brushes tend to muddle colours together, but that might just mean I should use the better quality brushes I have. Whoops!

Start with a silver cream eyeshadow in the inner corner of your eye and then pat a loose silver shadow over that. Next, press a lavender shadow into the center of your lid. Brush a darker purple shadow into the outer corner. I used three different purple eyeshadows to get the gradient effect, but you should be able to get away with two. I just like making things more complicated than they need to be! Aim for purples that don't lean too blue or too red, but somewhere in between.

Take a deep pinkish purple and brush that into the crease. Blend all of the colours together well--use a brush for this! Using a deep purple shade, line your lower lash line. Take a black eyeliner and line your upper and lower waterlines and your upper lash line.

Falsie time! Obviously you can skip this step. I always have a lot of trouble with false eyelashes, but I suffer through them for performances and photos. I forgot to curl/put on mascara on my natural lashes, but they're so insubstantial compared to the falsies that it wouldn't have made a difference!

Using a light pink blush (or loose eyeshadow, in my case), swirl colour into your cheeks and along your cheekbones. I tapped and blended a pale liquid highlighter just above the cheekbones, too. Elsa doesn't have a contoured face, as that's more typical of Disney villains and not the princesses, so there's no need for adding shadows to your face.

Here's a close-up of the look with the pink gloss.


That blue scarf is the only accessory/item of clothing that I have that's remotely close to the colour of Elsa's dress. That will hopefully change, as I love pretty much any shade of blue, but my closet is currently in need of a serious overhaul.

The cranberry lip was more difficult to achieve. I started off with a lip cream form NYX, but I thought the colour appeared too light, so I added a layer of a lipstick from Rimmel. That seemed to make the colour more opaque, but after adding Clinique's cult classic Black Honey, I thought the colour was perfect.


BROWS
Anastasia Beverly Hills Beauty Express brow kit in Brunette
Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Brow Gel in Granite

EYES
theBalm Put a Lid On It! eyeshadow primer
Inner corner - Maybelline Color Tattoo Metal 24HR Cream Gel Shadow in 60 Silver Strike + Fyrinnae loose eyeshadow in Dinosaur Plushie (pale metallic silver with multi-colored sparkle)
Center of lid - Sugarpill Chromalust pigment in Paperdoll (lavender shimmer)
Outer 2/3 of lid - Sugarpill Chromalust pigment in Hysteric (metallic purple with turquoise shimmer)
Outer corner - Fyrinnae loose eyeshadow in Arcane Magic: Mystical Hedgehog (purple shimmer with turquoise-green highlight and pink shift)
Crease - L'oreal Infallible 24 HR Eye Shadow in 557 Glistening Garnet + Fyrinnae loose eyeshadow in Meerkat (pink-purple with gold shimmer)
Liner - Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion (matte blackest black)
Lower lash line - Saucebox Cosmetics Forbidden Fruits palette (matte deep purple shade)
False lashes - Sephora False Eye Lashes in Mink

FACE
Urban Decay Naked Skin liquid foundation in 1.0
Amazing Cosmetics Amazing Concealer in Light Golden
It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye concealer in Light
Blush - Sugarpill Chromalust pigment in Birthday Girl (princess pink with fuchsia sparkles)
Highlight - Benefit high beam

LIPS
NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in New Lover
OR
NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Monte Carlo + Rimmel London Lasting Finish Matte by Kate Moss lipstick in 107 + Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey


No comments:

Post a Comment