23 January 2014

look of the day - 70s inspiration/lily evans potter

Another request from my friend Meg! She made a whole bunch, so you'll be seeing her name on a lot of posts. She requested a look for Lily Potter. You know, Harry Potter's mum? She was a teenager in the 70s, so of course I had to draw some inspiration from photos from the 70s.

There was a strong push toward natural looking skin with foundation that matched your skin tone, and everyone wanted to be tan. Obviously, that's not going to happen for me, seeing as I'm naturally ghostly pale. Lips were kept in natural tones, if not frosty shades, and there was light blush on the cheeks. The focus was on the eyes--frosty shadows in shades of blue and green were popular, but so were shades of pink and brown. I used this and this as reference sites.


My hair is looking sloppy, but I had just shaken it up to try to give it some Farrah Fawcett-esque volume. Aside from super flipped-out hair, stick straight hair was also a popular look, so luck was on my side!

Unfortunately you can't really see the light blue eyeshadow that I put on since I didn't bring it up past the crease! Brows were more natural and thin, but mine are full so I just used a brow pencil and brushed that through. I used two different lip glosses to get a nude pink shade that was lighter than my natural lip colour, and I used a gel blush for my cheeks, as well as some liquid highlighter above my cheekbones.

For my eyes, I mixed a medium-dark blue with a very pale blue shade to get a colour that seemed to match more of the reference photos and packed the pigment onto my lids. Using a matte brown eyeshadow, I blended the colour into the creases of my eye sockets. Some liquid eyeliner winged out on top, a white pencil on the lower waterline, and a dark blue eyeliner along my lower lash line rounded off the look!

Obviously this look may not have suited Lily exactly, as she had ginger hair and green eyes, which obviously doesn't match my colouring in the slightest. But I think she would have stuck to natural lip colours and flawless skin with a pop of colour on the lids. Since she had green eyes, maybe she would have worn matching green shadow, or more neutrals since her colouring was so striking, but I think blue eyeshadow, when done right, looks good on everyone.

BROWS
Benefit Instant Brow Pencil in Deep
Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Brow Gel in Granite

EYES
theBalm Put a Lid On It! eyeshadow primer
Lid - Fyrinnae loose eyeshadow in Arcane Magic: Mermaid Masquerade (royal blue shimmer with purple/pink shift) + Fyrinnae loose eyeshadow in Otherworld (pale aqua shimmer with turquoise and blue sparkle)
Crease - theBalm Nude 'Tude eyeshadow in Sultry (warm medium brown matte/satin)
Upper lash line - Sephora Collection Long-Lasting 12HR Wear Eye Liner in 01 Black (matte black)
Lower waterline - Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Yeyo (metallic white)
Lower lash line - Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Binge (pearly navy blue, discontinued)

FACE
Urban Decay Naked Skin liquid foundation in 1.0
Benefit boi-ing concealer in 01
Under eyes - Benefit Fake Up Concealer in 01 Light
Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil Bronzer
Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelée in Poppy Paradise
Highlight - Benefit high beam (cheekbones) + Benefit moon beam (cupid's bow + bridge of nose)

LIPS
Buxom Full-On Lip Cream in White Russian (nude pink)
Buxom Full-On Lip Polish in Dolly (shimmering muted plum)


I'm going to take a few days off from putting on makeup, at least near my eyes. Luckily, it's not hugely noticeable in these pictures, but I scratched the corner of my left eye this morning. Thankfully, I didn't break skin, but it's red and raw and stings quite a bit, so it's time for me to ease up!

No comments:

Post a Comment