06 January 2014

hogwarts series - hufflepuff (dramatic)

I live in the Midwest, so today we got hit by that polar vortex and the high for today was -10°F with a wind chill 25 degrees below that. Our furnace stopped working for a solid hour and I couldn't feel my fingers and toes indoors, but my dad found the issue and all was well! Since I knew today was going to be super cold, I decided today I needed to do the Hufflepuff look because I had plans to curl my hair.

Curling my hair is a full on production. Because I have very thick hair and it's a bit longer than I've had it in four years, it usually takes upwards of two hours for me to get all of my hair. I have to make the sections for each curl smaller since my hair is so thick--luckily, I was using a larger barrel. I think it was a 1 1/4" barrel, but I have cheap curling irons so I don't really know. I burnt my ear once and my fingers three or four times and had to enlist my sister's help for the very back of my head, but I managed to finish my whole head in 1.5 hours! I had everything pinned for too long so my hair was massive, but now it's finally settling down.


This photo is a little blurry, but the look itself is actually quite simple. I used some foundation and a bit of highlighting/contouring to make it seem like I have cheekbones to some degree. Concealer was an absolute must, as the redness would have been very obvious given the way I did my makeup.

I nearly forgot to fill in my brows for these photos. Originally, I wanted to use a matte charcoal eyeshadow for them, but I thought it might be too severe and too in competition with the eyes.



The key here is the eyeliner. I put on a white base for the yellow eyeshadow so the colour seemed more vibrant. All you need to do is pat colour on the lid up past the crease. I used a pencil eyeliner to line my upper and lower waterline in order to thicken the appearance of my lashes. Finally, I used a liquid eyeliner to create a basic cat-eye shape before I took the brush across the lid and under the eye, too. Go crazy with the shape! Don't get too artistic on one eye before you start on the second one--you want to keep it even, so trace a little on the left eye, then the right eye, and switch back and forth.

To round off the look, use a bit of blush and a nude lip colour.


BROWS
Benefit Instant Brow Pencil in Deep
Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Brow Gel in Granite

EYES
theBalm Put a Lid On It! eyeshadow primer
Lid - NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk (white) + Sugarpill pressed eyeshadow in Buttercupcake (bright matte yellow)
Liner - Sephora Collection Long-Lasting 12HR Wear Eye Liner in 01 Black (matte black)
Waterlines - Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion (matte blackest black)
Lashes - Maybelline Volum' Express the Mega Plush mascara in Blackest Black

FACE
Urban Decay Naked Skin liquid foundation in 1.0
Benefit boi-ing concealer in 01
Contour - Maybelline Fit Me foundation stick in 235
Highlight - Benefit high beam
Under eyes - Benefit Fake Up Concealer in 01 Light
L'Oréal Paris Magic Smooth Soufflé Blush in Celestial (muted rosy pink)

LIPS
Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Interlace (palest crème peach)


No comments:

Post a Comment