02 January 2014

hogwarts series - gryffindor (dramatic)

It's no secret that I'm a huge Harry Potter fan. I've been obsessed since the third grade when my parents gave me a check for Sorcerer's Stone at the book fair even though I wanted another book. (... Do they even have book fairs anymore? I'm feeling so old even though I'm only 22.) I'm a fan of doing series of looks, and I think one based on Hogwarts houses was only natural. Each house is getting a dramatic look and a look that you can wear out of the house. First up, Gryffindor!


From this picture, it looks rather tame, but the close-up will show the dramatic part of it. I mimicked the Gryffindor house crest (the book version, as the movie versions of the crests make me angry) and divided my eyelid into four quarters, colouring two quadrants red and two quadrants gold. Because there was so much colour involved, I didn't bother with eyeliner as it would have made the look a little too much. Instead, I used two coats of mascara and blended out the crease with a deeper gold shadow to even the look out.

I originally considered making my brows bright red like I did last month at some point, but I thought it would detract too much from the eyes so I went with a deeper red instead. Top it all off with a red lip and the look is complete! No need for blush as you've already got so much red going on, but then again, I've never been a blush sort of person. If you think a look of this level might wash you out, definitely consider using a red-toned blush and a light hand in application to give your face some life.

I slept with my hair in four French braids to give it that wild look as I think it suits the Gryffindor spirit. (I personally hate it because it means I have to bother with product in my hair.)

BROWS
Saucebox Midnight Blossoms eyeshadow palette (top right deep red shimmer shade)

EYES
Lid - Sugarpill Chromalust pigment in Asylum (red shimmer) + Goldilux (highly-reflective metallic gold)
Crease- Shiro Cosmetics loose eyeshadow in Butts (smooth golden yellow-khaki with soft velvety shimmer)
Lashes - Maybelline Volum' Express the Mega Plush mascara in Blackest Black

FACE
Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentrè
Dr. Jart+ V7 Beauty Balm
Benefit boi-ing concealer in 01
Under eyes - Benefit Fake Up concealer in 01 Light

LIPS
Bite Beauty Cashmere Lip Cream in Port (deep wine)


LOOK AT THAT LID SPACE. I had to apply the eyeshadow with a thin detailer brush. Since they were loose eyeshadows, I used a mix of 50/50 water/glycerin as a homemade mixing medium because I really don't want to spend an excess amount of money for something that works just the same but has a brand name slapped on. The mixing medium definitely helped to keep the lines between the quadrants neat and it gave the loose eyeshadows a beautiful foiled effect.

Tomorrow, I'll be posting the everyday Gryffindor look!

No comments:

Post a Comment