06 October 2013

a survey to tide things over + some housekeeping

1. How many times do you wash your face daily?
Once in the morning and once at night. If I'm doing a full face of makeup, I often have to wash my face in the afternoon before I go for a walk in the evening, but then I just splash my face with warm water at night.

2. What skin type do you have? Dry, oily, or combination skin?
Combination skin. I have dry patches all over and my T-zone can get oily, but it's been a lot better as of late. I get the occasional bouts of acne and my skin is sensitive to some skincare products.

3. What is your current facial wash?
I use Alaffia EveryDay Coconut Cleansing Face Wash in the morning, and I switch off between Yes to Tomatoes Acne Control Gel Cleanser and Yes to Grapefruit Daily Facial Scrub.

4. Do you exfoliate? How often?
Like I mentioned previously, I use a daily scrub a few times a week, but I try to remember to use something a little more vigorous at least once every two weeks.

5. What product do you use to exfoliate?
Answered!

6. What moisturizer do you use?
Alaffia EveryDay Coconut Daily Face Lotion, and Aveeno Smart Essentials nighttime moisture infusion before bed. I've also been playing around with Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil because my morning lotion just isn't cutting it in terms of moisture.

7. Do you have freckles/sun spots?
I have freckles, but I don't believe they're from sun exposure.

10. Do you use eye cream?
I use Botanics All Bright Refreshing Eye Roll-On every now and then, but I'm not particularly diligent about it.

11. Do you or did you have acne prone skin?
I don't have excessively acne prone skin, but I do get my fair share of breakouts.

12. Did you ever have to use pro-activ?
Never.

13. What foundation do you use?
I rarely use foundation and if I do, it's either Urban Decay's Naked Skin in 1.0, or I mix concealer with moisturiser as suggested by Wayne Goss. I've been experimenting with samples of pretty much everything, and I recently bought some foundation from Flower Beauty that seems to be lovely, though I haven't done any tests on it yet.

14. How about concealer?
It's a must for me because I have large red patches on my cheeks that could be rosacea, but who knows? I generally use Benefit's boi-ing in 01, but I've been testing out a bunch of other brands. Maybelline's Fit Me concealer has been great for undereyes, too. I'm waiting for rms beauty to come out with their lightest shade 00 for their un cover up, though... I bought 11 which is too dark but I love the formula.

15. Do you know your undertone color?
It's neutral--warm foundations make me look slightly jaundiced but cool foundations make me look too red.

16. What do you think of fake eyelashes?
I think they're fun for a while! I like wearing them for performances or for the occasional photoshoot, but they can be impractical and with my glasses, they're generally a bad idea if I intend to wear them out.

17. Did you know that you’re supposed to change mascara every 3 months?
Yes, but I don't wear my mascara often enough to warrant buying a new one every 3 months, so I cheat that rule a bit.

18. What brand of mascara do you use?
Because it needs to be replaced more often, I stick with drugstore brands, mostly Maybelline.

19. Sephora or Mac?
Sephora. Such a wide range of brands from which to choose! I don't plan on buying Mac makeup unless they reclaim their previous cruelty-free status.

20. Do you have a Mac pro card?
No.

21. What makeup tools do you use in makeup application?
I'm a big fan of just using my fingers for almost everything, but I will almost always use an angled brush/spoolie for my brows and occasionally a liner brush and a blush brush. Urban Decay's optical blurring brush is amazing for foundation and I'm starting to use Ulta's version of the beautyblender.

22. Do you use makeup base or primer for your eyes?
Always. I have oily lids, so eyeshadow will crease very easily on me.

23. For the face?
Very rarely. I know it would help the appearance of foundation, but often the primer will dry my skin or enhance dry spots.

24. What is your favorite eyeshadow shade?
I love love love bright colours like Fyrinnae's Sleepy Hollow, but I also really like Sugarpill's Lumi and Goldilux. In general, I really love all of Sugarpill's eyeshadows.

25. Do you use pencil or liquid liner?
Both! I prefer pencils like Urban Decay's eyeliners, but liquid liner is always so precise. Right now I'm using Maybelline's Line Stiletto but it's running out, so it's about time to get a new one!

26. How often do you poke your eyes with an eyeliner pencil?
I used to do it a lot, but I've gotten much better at not doing so.

27. What do you think of pigment eyeshadows?
I LOVE them. Colour is my area of expertise.

28. Do you use mineral makeup?
Sometimes. Mineral foundations can sometimes cling to patches of my skin and make it look uneven, but sometimes they're really great because there are so many shades.

29. What is your favorite “go-to” lipstick? Why?
If I'm in a hurry, I'll reach for one of my mini fresh sugar lip treatments or Revlon lip butter in Peach Parfait, but I really love OCC's lip tars and would reach for one of those if I had the time.

30. How about lip gloss? Why?
I love Buxom's lip glosses because they smell great and do have a bit of a plumping effect, but lately my glosses have been sitting forgotten in my organiser.

31. What is your favorite blush to use and why?
I generally don't use blush because I'm actually naturally red in the cheeks anyway, but I do like L'oreal's Magicsmooth souffle blush in Celestial and NARS Orgasm or Super Orgasm. I'm vaguely in love with their darker blushes but I can't use them unless I have a very light hand and even then I tend to look a little sunburnt.

32. Do you buy your makeup on ebay/ebay.ph?
No, but I've considered it!

33. Do you like drugstore makeup?
There are some great drugstore brands! I do prefer drugstore mascara as I've mentioned earlier. They're also a great way to test colours that you don't want to break the bank for just yet, although the only drawback is that you can't test them in store, but at least they're cheaper. There are also brands like NYX that are changing the perception of drugstore makeup.

34. Do you go to cosmetic company outlets?
Sometimes, but I've never found anything I need to snag right away.

35. Do you ever consider taking makeup classes?
All the time.

36. Are you clumsy in putting on makeup?
I've gotten a lot better in the past few years. I'm not a perfectionist with my makeup, though--if it looks a little messy, that's fine with me.

37. Name a makeup crime(s) that you hate.
Honestly, I don't think I have one. I'm all about breaking rules and changing expectations. Everyone should experiment with how makeup works best for them--it's an art, a way to express yourself, and you don't need to stick to the expected.

38. Do you like colorful shades of makeup or neutral ones?
Both! I love a good neutral look, but colour just grabs my attention more often.

39. Which celebrity always has great makeup?
Michelle Dockery, Phoebe Tonkin, Sophie Turner, Saoirse Ronan. There are so many others, but I can't really pick one because celebrities often play it safer than I'd ever do!

40. If you could leave the house using just one makeup item, what would you use?
Does sunblock count? I definitely need something with SPF to keep myself from turning into a tomato.

41. Could you ever leave the house without any makeup on?
To be honest, I don't wear makeup at least 50% of the time because usually I'm just too lazy.

42. In your opinion, what is the best makeup line?
I can't pick just one! Urban Decay, Too Faced, Sugarpill, Fyrinnae, OCC, Shiro Cosmetics, there's just so many that I love. I'm a huge fan of indie brands and am more likely to buy from small brands because they often have some of the best shades.

43. What do you think of makeup?
I love it. I love using it as a way to express myself or as a way to make myself feel less exhausted, and it's really an art form. I wish the ingredients were all more well-known because I'd love to know what goes on my skin, but for now I'm just having fun. If you want to wear makeup to enhance your appearance, go for it. If you want to use your face as a canvas, do it. There isn't anything stopping you.

44. What is your favorite “quote” related to makeup?
"Cosmetics are an extension of the will. Why do you think all men paint themselves when they go to fight?" - from Catherynne M. Valente's Deathless

45. If you were a makeup tool/product, what would you be and why?
I'm pretty sure I'd be Urban Decay's eyeliner in Deep End. Very specific, I know, but it's a bright colour (one of my favourites!), eyeliner is one of the makeup items I'd use daily if I was motivated enough, and it's just so fun.



Just a reminder that you can follow this blog via email, or the tumblr account associated with my blog. You can find a link in the about page in the sidebar! You can now follow Achromatic Gold on bloglovin', as well.

I'm always open to suggestions or requests! Since it is October, I'll be experimenting with Halloween makeup and maybe actually making the effort to put on clothes that aren't old t-shirts. Some of the posts you can expect to see in the near future:

  • Sugarpill Cold Chemistry palette review (along with reviews of other Sugarpill products as I get around to them)
  • Werewolf makeup inspired by Jangsara
  • Osmia Organics Spot Treatment review
  • Oslo Cosmetics review (I just placed the order today--very excited!)
I'm currently working on setting up Adsense, so please be patient--there might be advertisements soon, so I apologise in advance for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment