12 February 2014

look of the day - cream + gold + green

This morning, I went to get a physical because I have a big girl job (!!!) and my arms are currently quite sore because I had to get a vaccine in each arm. I'm also piloting the Crimson Typhoon so no matter how much I try with my makeup, all of my photos make me look exceptionally ill. How is it possible for me to look any more pale?!

Now that I've given you too much information about my life, onto the look for today! My darling friend Livy requested a look with gold, green, and cream eyeshadow. I'll admit that I skipped the cream eyeshadow because every colour I had close to that was invisible on my skin, but I'll let you all know how to incorporate it into the look.


I was experimenting with overdrawing my lips here, too, so that's why my mouth looks different. (Note to self: don't try overdrawing with lip tar again.) Obviously, red lipstick is not a requirement for this look! I'm just sort of obsessed with the colour, plus Valentine's Day is coming up and even though I personally have no interest for the holiday, a red lip is suitable for any day.

Time for a mini-tutorial! After priming the lid, take a gold eyeshadow from the inner corner to about 1/3 to 1/2 across the lid. You can use a brush/sponge applicator to do this, or use your fingers like I did. I have a particular distrust of brushes for some reason, but I'm working on it. Take a medium green eyeshadow and pack it next to your gold eyeshadow, keeping the colour a bit further back from the outer corner of your eyelid. I used an olive green colour (aptly named Up All Night to Get Loki, as Livy is obsessed with Tom Hiddleston) but any green will do.

Take a black eyeliner or eye crayon and colour in the outer corner of your lid. Blend this like crazy--you're not getting a close-up of the look because I forgot to do this and it looks terrible. Whoops! After you blend this really well, take your green eyeshadow and pat it lightly onto the black base to give the shadow some depth. I happened to use a darker green eyeshadow than the Loki one, but I happened to have one on hand.

Go wild with black eyeliner. I chose to do winged liner with a liquid liner that has somehow yet to die, but you can just use a simple pencil and smudge that around your eyes. The sky is the limit! I also took a green liquid liner to my lower lash line, but that was me being ~fancy~.

You should use blush with this look so you're not washed out, especially if you do red lipstick! Somehow, even with blush I still look like Casper's ghost friend who learned how to paint her face, so um... Yeah, watch how you balance your look. I think a nude pink lipstick would look great, or if your lips are naturally quite pigmented like mine are, you can get away with some lip balm and call it a day.

If you have a cream eyeshadow and you're not a ghost like I am, you can place some in the inner corner of your eyelid to open up the eye, or blend it into the crease of your eye up to your browbone for a sick highlight.

Other possible combinations of cream + gold + green:
  • Cream over the lid, gold on the outer corner + crease, green along your lash lines
  • Green all over the lid with gold patted smack dab in the center of your upper lid
  • Cream into the inner corner, green all over your lid, gold along the lower lash line
  • Smokey eye! Green along the lash line brought up halfway on the lid, gold from there to the crease, and cream from the crease to your browbone


Since these colours are rather different from each other, make sure to blend like crazy, whatever you choose to do.

BROWS
Benefit Instant Brow Pencil in Deep
Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Brow Gel in Granite

EYES
theBalm Put a Lid On It! eyeshadow primer
Inner lid - Urban Decay eyeshadow in Half Baked (golden bronze)
Outer lid - Shiro Cosmetics loose eyeshadow in Up All Night to Get Loki (olive green with gunmetal shimmer)
Outer corner - Ulta Eye Crayon in Black Tie + Sugarpill Chromalust pigment in Junebug (forest green shimmer)
Upper lash line - Maybelline Line Stiletto Ultimate Precision Liquid Eyeliner in Blackest Black
Lower lash line - Stila Stay All Day® Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Moss (forest green)

FACE
Urban Decay Naked Skin liquid foundation in 1.0
Benefit boi-ing concealer in 01
rms beauty lip2cheek in diabolique (dark burgundy)
LUSH Cream Eyeshadow in Happiness (sunset copper shimmer)

LIPS
Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Vintage (deep burgundy)

No comments:

Post a Comment