08 November 2013

look of the day - retro inspiration

I've always been a fan of 50s-inspired hair and makeup and that was only made the more obvious to me when I joined a jazz a cappella group during my years at university. I'm still too lazy to do my hair and now there are too many layers for me to attempt any sort of decent curl, but maybe one day I'll actually do the makeup and the hair and post the results.


I look like I'm trying to channel the sexy librarian look, which, let's face it, is pretty awesome. Yes, that is the same sweater from Wednesday's post where the pictures were taking on Monday. Don't judge--I love it and it was cheap!

I'm usually not a big fan of lip products because all I do is chew on things when I'm sitting there doing nothing, but I just bought one of Revlon's new matte balm pencils and it's fantastic. I don't know how to describe it exactly since I put it on over another red lipstick in these photographs, but the colour is this really wonderful neutral red that is slightly dark and leans just a tad warm.


My bangs are doing something weird in these photos, but disregarding that, I love wearing a red lip with winged liner and no blush. In reality, I really hate blush because I'm naturally a tomato (yay rosacea!) but I love some subtle contouring. It actually kind of looks like I have cheekbones here!

BROWS
Anastasia Beverly Hills Beauty Express brow kit in Brunette
Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Brow Gel in Granite

EYES
Lid - Urban Decay eyeshadow in Foxy (very light yellow/white matte)
Crease - Urban Decay eyeshadow in Faint (warm, dusty brown matte)
Upper waterline - Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion (matte blackest black)
Liner - Maybelline Line Stiletto Ultimate Precision Liquid Eyeliner in Blackest Black
Lashes - Maybelline Volum' Express the Mega Plush mascara in Blackest Black
False lashes - Ardell Wispies Black lashes

FACE
Urban Decay Naked Skin liquid foundation in 1.0
Under eyes - Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in 15 Fair
Benefit boi-ing concealer in 01 Light
Contour - Maybelline Fit Me foundation stick in 235
Highlight - Benefit high beam

LIPS
Maybelline Color Sensational Vivid lipstick in 895 On Fire Red
Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in 250 Standout


Coming up next, I'll be posting about all the drugstore lippies I've bought over the last two weeks because I'm trying to find colours I enjoy and then I might splurge, but for now, the drugstore options are pretty wonderful. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment