Today's weather took a complete 180 degrees because it was sunny earlier today and then just a few minutes ago, it was raining and even hailing a little bit. Weird!
This look was requested by my friend Meg, who asked for something inspired by The Hobbit since the second movie is coming out soon. I have to confess that I didn't watch the Lord of the Rings movies until two years ago at the constant pestering of my friend Erica and after I did, I have to say that I LOVE them. I have every intention of going to see the second Hobbit film--after all, I went to see the first and thought it was brilliant.
When I think of J.R.R. Tolkien's world, I always come up with primarily gold, brown, and green hues, especially in relation to the hobbits. Those were the colours I focused on here.
This turned out to be a bit of a smokey look that relied on golds near the inner corner and green at the outer corner with a deep bronze to transition between the two, and I quite like how it turned out! It's meant to be a slightly softer look, so I went for a brown liner instead of black, though I did use a bit of black to tightline the lashes. It's not a challenging look to accomplish, though I did spend more time on it than I expected--there's a reason why I didn't end up getting any good close-ups! You don't need to apply your eyeshadow in any particular shape, but just keep the outer corner from dipping down.
Because this look was so focused on the eyes, I just applied a gloss to my lips. The next picture, I used a nude lipstick and I think I like that combination a little better.
- Apply foundation/tinted moisturiser/BB cream as needed. I used a BB cream here because it's a little lower maintenance but anything goes.
- Apply an eyeshadow primer so everything stays put and wait one minute before applying eyeshadow. Before I put any colour on, I put a dusting of loose powder on my lids so it would be easier to blend the colours, but that's also optional.
- Starting at the inner corner, take a gold eyeshadow and pat it onto the lid, bringing it about a third of the way onto the lid. You want this to pop! I tend to use my finger to pack on colour because I find that the brushes I reach for tend to sheer out the pigment too much.
- Take a green-olive eyeshadow and pack on the colour at the outer corner of the lid, bringing it a third of the way toward the center of the lid.
- Using a brush, take a bronze/medium brown eyeshadow to blend the gold and green shadows together.
- THIS STEP IS COMPLETELY OPTIONAL! I used a dark blue-green eyeshadow and placed a light layer of it into the crease of my eyelid.
- Line your upper lid with a brown eyeliner. You can also tightline your lashes with a black liner here and line your waterline with a white liner, but it's not necessary. (Especially if you're going to wear this to the movie theatre to see The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. You might risk eyeliner running down your face from tears! Don't be ashamed--I've cried in most of the movies I've seen in theatres over the past two years.)
- Apply two coats of mascara. The first coat I applied was a non-waterproof mascara, and the second was a waterproof mascara. This way, you get the stay-put benefits of the waterproof mascara but it's easier to remove at the end of the day.
- Using a thin brush, take some of the green eyeshadow and trace below your lower lash line.
- Clean up any loose eyeshadow! Apply concealer around your eyes and wherever else you need it.
- Pat a bit of peach-pink blush onto the apples of the cheek.
- Apply a coat of lip gloss to the lips and you're all set.
Anastasia Beverly Hills Beauty Express brow kit in Brunette
Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Brow Gel in Granite
theBalm Put a Lid On It eyeshadow primer
bareMinerals mineral veil
Inner corner - Urban Decay eyeshadow in Sin (champagne shimmer)
Inner lid - Urban Decay eyeshadow in Half Baked (golden bronze)
Center of lid - Urban Decay eyeshadow in Smog (deep coppery bronze)
Outer corner and lower lash line - Urban Decay eyeshadow in Mildew (mossy green shimmer with gold shift)
Crease - Shiro Cosmetics loose eyeshadow in Lingered in Twilight (blackened blue-green with slightly metallic shimmer)
Upper lid liner - Hello Kitty Charmmy eye pencil in Chocolate Milk (shimmery brown) + Fyrinnae loose eyeshadow in Arcane Magic: Evocation (neutral taupe with pale rose/coral and mint green reflect)
Upper lash line - Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion (deepest matte black)
Lower waterline - Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Yeyo (metallic white)
Lashes - Maybelline Volum' Express the Mega Plush mascara in Blackest Black + Maybelline Volum’ Express The Rocket waterproof mascara in Blackest Black
Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentrè
Dr. Jart+ V7 Beauty Balm
Under eyes - PIXI Beauty Correction Concentrate + Benefit Fake-Up Concealer in 01 Light
Benefit boi-ing concealer in 01
L'Oréal Paris Magic Smooth Soufflé Blush in Celestial (muted rosy pink)
Smashbox O-Gloss Gold