20 November 2013

j.r.r. tolkien's the hobbit series #1 - hobbits

Today's weather took a complete 180 degrees because it was sunny earlier today and then just a few minutes ago, it was raining and even hailing a little bit. Weird!

This look was requested by my friend Meg, who asked for something inspired by The Hobbit since the second movie is coming out soon. I have to confess that I didn't watch the Lord of the Rings movies until two years ago at the constant pestering of my friend Erica and after I did, I have to say that I LOVE them. I have every intention of going to see the second Hobbit film--after all, I went to see the first and thought it was brilliant.

When I think of J.R.R. Tolkien's world, I always come up with primarily gold, brown, and green hues, especially in relation to the hobbits. Those were the colours I focused on here.


This turned out to be a bit of a smokey look that relied on golds near the inner corner and green at the outer corner with a deep bronze to transition between the two, and I quite like how it turned out! It's meant to be a slightly softer look, so I went for a brown liner instead of black, though I did use a bit of black to tightline the lashes. It's not a challenging look to accomplish, though I did spend more time on it than I expected--there's a reason why I didn't end up getting any good close-ups! You don't need to apply your eyeshadow in any particular shape, but just keep the outer corner from dipping down.

Because this look was so focused on the eyes, I just applied a gloss to my lips. The next picture, I used a nude lipstick and I think I like that combination a little better.


  1. Apply foundation/tinted moisturiser/BB cream as needed. I used a BB cream here because it's a little lower maintenance but anything goes.
  2. Apply an eyeshadow primer so everything stays put and wait one minute before applying eyeshadow. Before I put any colour on, I put a dusting of loose powder on my lids so it would be easier to blend the colours, but that's also optional.
  3. Starting at the inner corner, take a gold eyeshadow and pat it onto the lid, bringing it about a third of the way onto the lid. You want this to pop! I tend to use my finger to pack on colour because I find that the brushes I reach for tend to sheer out the pigment too much.
  4. Take a green-olive eyeshadow and pack on the colour at the outer corner of the lid, bringing it a third of the way toward the center of the lid.
  5. Using a brush, take a bronze/medium brown eyeshadow to blend the gold and green shadows together.
  6. THIS STEP IS COMPLETELY OPTIONAL! I used a dark blue-green eyeshadow and placed a light layer of it into the crease of my eyelid.
  7. Line your upper lid with a brown eyeliner. You can also tightline your lashes with a black liner here and line your waterline with a white liner, but it's not necessary. (Especially if you're going to wear this to the movie theatre to see The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. You might risk eyeliner running down your face from tears! Don't be ashamed--I've cried in most of the movies I've seen in theatres over the past two years.)
  8. Apply two coats of mascara. The first coat I applied was a non-waterproof mascara, and the second was a waterproof mascara. This way, you get the stay-put benefits of the waterproof mascara but it's easier to remove at the end of the day.
  9. Using a thin brush, take some of the green eyeshadow and trace below your lower lash line.
  10. Clean up any loose eyeshadow! Apply concealer around your eyes and wherever else you need it.
  11. Pat a bit of peach-pink blush onto the apples of the cheek.
  12. Apply a coat of lip gloss to the lips and you're all set.


BROWS
Anastasia Beverly Hills Beauty Express brow kit in Brunette
Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Brow Gel in Granite

EYES
theBalm Put a Lid On It eyeshadow primer
bareMinerals mineral veil
Inner corner - Urban Decay eyeshadow in Sin (champagne shimmer)
Inner lid - Urban Decay eyeshadow in Half Baked (golden bronze)
Center of lid - Urban Decay eyeshadow in Smog (deep coppery bronze)
Outer corner and lower lash line - Urban Decay eyeshadow in Mildew (mossy green shimmer with gold shift)
Crease - Shiro Cosmetics loose eyeshadow in Lingered in Twilight (blackened blue-green with slightly metallic shimmer)
Upper lid liner - Hello Kitty Charmmy eye pencil in Chocolate Milk (shimmery brown) + Fyrinnae loose eyeshadow in Arcane Magic: Evocation (neutral taupe with pale rose/coral and mint green reflect)
Upper lash line - Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion (deepest matte black)
Lower waterline - Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Yeyo (metallic white)
Lashes - Maybelline Volum' Express the Mega Plush mascara in Blackest Black + Maybelline Volum’ Express The Rocket waterproof mascara in Blackest Black

FACE
Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentrè
Dr. Jart+ V7 Beauty Balm
Under eyes - PIXI Beauty Correction Concentrate + Benefit Fake-Up Concealer in 01 Light
Benefit boi-ing concealer in 01
L'Oréal Paris Magic Smooth Soufflé Blush in Celestial (muted rosy pink)

LIPS
Smashbox O-Gloss Gold

No comments:

Post a Comment