10 August 2014

look of the day - purple vamp

My hair is looking sad and so is my bank account, so I won't be re-dyeing it until I get my hands on some new Manic Panic. To cheer myself up, I did a vampy makeup look, which is really what I gravitate toward most days but I can't really get away with it at work.


For the eyes, it's a bit of a typical smoky eye where the darkest colour is closest to the lashes. I used a midtoned plum shimmer from the lash line up to between the brow bone and the crease, and a dark, blackened purple with iridescent glitter from the lash line to the crease. The most important part of smoky eyes is blending! Make sure to blend each colour into the next so you get a nice gradient. Blend with a clean brush each time. Use a matte purple eyeshadow to blend in some colour on your lower lids.

Take a black pencil eyeliner and line your waterlines, top and bottom. (Feel free to skip this step if you're not comfortable with this!) Take a black cream or gel eyeliner and draw out serious wings at the outer corners of your eyes. Feel free to go a little crazy since you've got such dark eyeshadow on anyway. Line your lower lash lines, too, and extend the line past the corner of your eye. Finish with a few coats of mascara.

For the lips, take a dark burgundy lipstick and fill in most of your lips with it. Then, using a black lipstick and a lip brush, line your lips and blend the two colours together. Because my lips are naturally quite pigmented, I had to cover them with some foundation so my lip line wasn't obvious.

Most people would want to balance this with a tad of blush or some contouring. I skipped both because I was bored and really wanted to get all the black eyeliner off in less than a half hour, but if I didn't get so impatient, I would've done some contouring around my cheeks and the perimeter of my face.

BROWS
Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow pomade in Dark Brown

EYES
Too Faced Shadow Insurance
Inner corner - Urban Decay eyeshadow in Sin (champagne shimmer)
Lid up to below brow bone - Makeup Geek pigment in Enchanted (light plum shimmer)
Lid up to crease - Sephora eyeshadow in N° 22 Fireworks (black purple with iridescent glitter)
Liner - Inglot Cosmetics AMC Eyeliner Gel in 77 (matte jet black)
Lower lid - Sigma Beauty Flare palette: Gossip (plum matte) + Allure (warm bright purple matte)
Waterline - Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion (matte blackest black)
Lashes - Maybelline Volum' Express the Mega Plush mascara in Blackest Black
Under eyes - Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in 15 Fair

FACE
Urban Decay Naked Skin liquid foundation in 1.0
Highlight - Benefit Watt's Up

LIPS
Wet N' Wild Fantasy Makers lipstick in Black
Geek Chic Cosmetics JoyStick in Stay Classy (velvet burgundy)


No comments:

Post a Comment