29 March 2014

look of the day - dark lips + defined brows/review - nyx soft matte lip creams

I really need to start doing makeup on the weekends so I have things to post here, yeah?

Last weekend, my sister came home for her first university spring break, so I didn't get a chance to sit down at my desk to paint my face, but this weekend I finally got some time for myself. I was inspired by the fall runway looks with dark, vampy lips, clean eyes, and defined brows. (Yes, I'm still stuck in fall makeup and that's perfectly up my alley.)

Mostly, I just wanted to use the darkest NYX lip cream that I own...


 Yes, dark lips are a year-round thing for me, but rarely do I go this dark. This colour would have been perfect for my Wednesday Addams costume and it's 100% fitting for Lorde!

Nothing too complicated was involved in this look. Put a little concealer on where it's needed--for me, that's around my mouth, chin, between my eyebrows, over my red patches on my cheeks, and under my eyes--and that was it for the face. Fill in your brows using a brow powder duo. The lighter shade goes on the inner half of the eyebrow and the darker shade on the outer half, and then brush out your brows to make them look less harsh, and finish them off with a swipe of brow gel.

For the eyes, take a black liner and tightline your lashes. (If you don't know what tightlining means, check out this article!) Curl your lashes and then put on a coat of mascara.

The lips are key here. With a dark lip like this, I would suggest filling in your lips with a matching lip liner to give you full coverage since once a dark lip colour is smudged, it's very noticeable. I didn't use lip liner because I wanted to see what this colour looked like on its own.

BROWS
Anastasia Beverly Hills Beauty Express brow kit in Brunette
Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Brow Gel in Granite

EYES
Upper lash line - Liner - Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion (matte blackest black)
Lashes - Maybelline Volum' Express the Mega Plush mascara in Blackest Black

FACE
Benefit Fake Up Concealer in 01 Light
Under eyes - Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in 15 Fair

LIPS
NYX Cosmetics Soft Matte Lip Cream in Transylvania (matte deep violet)


Since I just bought the NYX lip creams that I don't own, I thought I would do a review on them.

(Credit: ULTA.com)

Availability: Most ULTA stores and some Target stores, as well as nyxcosmetics.com.
Shades: These come in 22 shades and to my knowledge, all of them are permanent.
Price: $6 each, although ULTA often has buy one, get one 50% off deals.

All shades. TOP ROW: Cairo, Athens, Stockholm, London, Abu Dhabi, Zurich, Cannes. MIDDLE ROW: San Paulo, Antwerp, Buenos Aires, Istanbul, Tokyo, Sydney, Milan, Prague. BOTTOM ROW: Morocco, Ibiza, Addis Ababa, Amsterdam, Monte Carlo, Copenhagen, Transylvania.


About:
Neither lipstick nor lip gloss, this matte lip cream is a new kind of lip color that goes on silky smooth and sets to a matte finish. Soft Matte Lip Cream is surprisingly durable and, unlike some matte lipstick formulas, also moisturizing.

Ingredients:
Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Dimethicone, Beeswax, Glyceryl Behenate/Eicosadioate, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone/Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Talc, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Silica, Aluminum Starch Octennylsuccinate, Isohexadecane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Parfum. MAY CONTAIN: Ci 77019 (Mica) / CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 15850 (D&C Red 6 Na Salt), CI 15850 (D& C Red 7 Ca Lake), CI 15985:1 (FD&C Yellow 6 Al Lake), CI 19140:1 (FD&C Yellow 5 Al Lake), CI 45410 (D&C Red 28 Al Lake), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide Red), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide Yellow), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide Black), CI 77742 (Manganese Violet), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).

Disclaimer: Do not apply these right after putting on lip balm! They will be streaky and uneven and difficult with which to work.

I really like these! I own all 22 shades and haven't had the chance to try all of them, but generally, I find that they apply nicely and dry down to actually give you a matte look rather than a satin one like many matte lipsticks end up doing. They have a bit of a vanilla/cupcake scent that lingers for a while after application. It doesn't bother me as I love most gourmand smells, but it might be a selling point for you or something that turns you off.

As long as I don't furiously press my lips against water bottles or cups, I've never had too much of an issue with transfer. However, if you accidentally bring a tissue near your mouth, you can bet that it will come off. They won't last through a meal since they're oil-based (organic solvent-based, if you're a science person like me) and will dissolve quickly, but water doesn't make the colour budge.

I recently just bought the 13 that I didn't own previously and with work going on, I haven't had a chance to test them all out. The ones that I've used more than once are Cannes (matte muted mauve), Antwerp (mid-tone yellow-toned pink), Ibiza (matte deep rose pink), Monte Carlo (deep cranberry red), and Copenhagen (matte rich plum). Cannes is a MLBB shade for me and Copenhagen might be one of my all-time favourite lip colours.

Since my lips are rather pigmented, some of these shades might not have the coverage to appear true to their actual colour. Transylvania is sheerer than the other colours I've tried, so I do recommend using a lip liner underneath it. The next time I wear it, I definitely will.

If there is a shade you'd like to see swatched on my lips, please let me know and I'll get that done ASAP.

Tomorrow is my first VIB Rouge event at Sephora. I've been one for a while now (... whoops, spending) but this is the first time that I've been able to attend something so I'm pretty excited. I'm currently sitting here writing this post whilst I try to tint my hair purple. I know you're supposed to bleach your hair before you put in semi-permanent dyes like Manic Panic, Beyond the Zone Color Jamz, Ion Color Brilliance, and Special Effects, but I don't want the bright colour. So my hair is dark burgundy (really just dark brown with a tint of red) but hopefully it'll deposit something.

No comments:

Post a Comment