07 June 2014

celebrity-inspired looks #1 - elizabeth henstridge at the 2014 ctv upfronts

Hello! It's been a while and somehow I logged in to find that I've gotten 70 pageviews today. You're all popping out of the woodwork, what happened?!

Anyway, so if you follow me on Tumblr, you'll notice that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is sort of taking over my life. (And by sort of taking over, I mean has 300% taken over.) I also have a habit of loving casts and their dynamic even more than the show itself, and this show is no different. The ladies of AoS are phenomenal and after I saw this picture of Elizabeth Henstridge, I knew I had to try to copy her look.


(I tried to take a picture with my teeth showing and I just looked so awkward. And yes, I'm wearing a lazy t-shirt because it was disgusting in my room and I didn't want to change!)

What made me want to try this look was the lip colour. I currently don't own anything of the sort, as slightly purple-leaning cool pinks aren't entirely my style. But it looked amazing on Elizabeth, so hey, why not?

I didn't have much of a close-up on her eye makeup, but she seems to favour neutral eyes with a bit of a flick on the eyeliner, so that's what I tried to do. Dot a shimmery, light eyeshadow in the inner corners of your eyes. (Alternatively, you can wait until the end so you can adjust the pigmentation as necessary.) Take a matte eyeshadow close to your natural skin tone and swipe it across your entire lid. This acts as more of a base than a part of the look, as it will make blending the other eyeshadows much easier. Use a gold eyeshadow and pat it onto the centers of your lids, and tap a medium-dark brown eyeshadow into the outer corner. Blend the dark eyeshadow into the lighter shades with a tapered brush.

(By the way, you should all be proud of me: I didn't finger paint my eyeshadows like I usually do!)

Take what's left on your eyeshadow brush and blend it into your lower lash line to give some definition. Use a black gel eyeliner and a small push liner brush (I used Wayne Goss' No. 8 brush, which is sort of a godsend) and press liner into the base of your lashes. Use a normal angled eyeliner brush to line your upper lash line and create a small flick at the outer corners. I completely forgot to use mascara, but you can layer some on after curling your lashes. Falsies are totally optional, but I think Lil is wearing some in that picture so I just went for it.

For the lip colour, I blended two different shades together to achieve a similar look and then added a layer of the lighter colour on top. I think the final colour looks pretty similar, although I can't say for sure as most of the pictures I've seen of her were edited.

Also, might I mention the miracle of layers? My hair is a lot longer than it looks in this picture but my front layers are noticeably shorter. Huzzah!

BROWS
Anastasia Beverly Hills Beauty Express brow kit in Brunette
Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Brow Gel in Granite

EYES
Too Faced Shadow Insurance
(All eyeshadows from the Sigma Beauty Bare palette)
Inner corner - Approach (pale, warm beige shimmer)
Entire lid - Elope (matte cool beige)
Center of lid - Command (light gold shimmer)
Outer corner - Hitch (matte medium-dark ash-brown)
Liner - Inglot Cosmetics AMC Eyeliner Gel in 77 (matte jet black)
False lashes - Ardell 109 lashes
Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in 15 Fair

FACE
Urban Decay Naked Skin liquid foundation in 1.0
Benefit boi-ing concealer in 01
Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelée in Poppy Paradise

LIPS
Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Matte Lip Tar in Pretty Boy (super-rich fuchsia) + Stained Gloss in Hedonist (neon pastel pink)


No comments:

Post a Comment